Pages

February 12, 2015

Angel Food Cake



Is it too early to start the countdown to spring? I know I’ve said it before, but I am literally through with winter! Had enough, done! One more snow/ice storm, I’m packin’ up and headin’ to Florida! Anyone who wants to tag along, come join me!

In the last five days I’ve gotten stuck three times in my driveway! Yes, three times! Stuck! Don’t be mistaken, not on the road...in my driveway. I should probably explain I have a really long driveway. And the turn tends to get a little slippery. Right now, the whole thing is a sheet of ice. Lovely.

So yesterday Abby and I were heading to school and my mom said, “go slow around the corner it’s slippery.” Okay, no big deal! I’m a slow driver anyway! I slow down, turn the wheel...nothing happens. AHHHHH! Straight into the snowbank. Ughhhh!

Mom to the rescue! She literally had to push me out of the snow and around the corner! If our neighbors were recording the whole ordeal, they’d definitely win $10,000 on AFV!


So...if I could get out of my driveway, I’d be on my way to Florida (or somewhere a little warmer!)  Look how beautiful...I'm meant to be there... But I’m stuck. So, I decided to make the most summery dessert I could think of, close my eyes by the fire, and pretend I’m lying on the beach. Little ocean-y/waves music and I’d be good to go! Nothing says warmth and sunshine like a piece of angel food cake and strawberries! 




Start by measuring out the egg whites.  I like to crack them over a separate bowl...just in case a yolk breaks!  It stinks when you're on the last one and have to start all over!!


Beat the egg whites, cream of tarter, salt, and vanilla until soft peaks form.  I test with the beater.  It takes quite a while...


Now beat in the granulated sugar.  They say about 2 tablespoons at a time, but I always just slowly pour it in while it's beating.  


Keep mixing until stiff peaks form.


Sift the flour and powdered sugar together in a separate bowl.  And then sift one more time...just for the heck of it!


Fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture about a fourth at a time.  Pour into an ungreased bunt pan...


and bake on the lowest rack of a 350º oven 40 minutes or until golden.


Remove from oven and cool inverted.  I'm so proud of myself this time!  The cake didn't crumble when I inverted it!  Yay!



Here's the picture I got when it came out...


....and then I went to take a picture of the final product...and this is what I found.  Yep, one bite.  How do you photograph one bite?!  Well, this is what I came up with so until I make it again this will just have to do!


Angel Food Cake

:Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tarter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar

:Directions:
Sift together powdered sugar and flour twice.  Set aside.
Beat egg whites, vanilla, salt and cream of tarter until soft peaks form.
Beat in granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time.  
Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
Fold in sifted flour mixture, about a fourth at a time.
Pour into an ungreased bunt pan.
Bake on the lowest rack of a 350º oven 40 minutes or until golden.

Click for printable recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment