Pages

November 19, 2014

Strawberry Oatmeal Bars


I grew up watching very little TV.  We never had cable and my mom always found different ways to entertain me.  Most of my time was spent in the kitchen with her baking.  I'd "help her do the dishes" or "roll out pie dough".  


"Doing the dishes" was really just me playing in the sink.  I wasted more soap and water than you can imagine, but it entrained me for hours!  And "rolling out pie dough"....I think that's what started my dough addiction.  After mom was done with the real pie, she'd give me the leftover dough to make my own.  With the rolling pin and cookie cutters from my play dough kit, I'd sit at the counter until whatever I was making was just right. (Shhh...don't tell, but of course I sampled a little along the way!)


A couple years ago I discovered the Food Network (aka. the greatest television show on earth!)  My mom and I are obsessed with Pioneer Woman.  We watch every episode when we're at my grandmas.  I  have to make fun of my mom a little though... For some odd reason, she always calls the host "Medicine Woman".  Sorry Ree...for the record one of us remembers your name!  

A couple visits ago, we were watching an episode and came across this Strawberry Oatmeal Bar recipe.  Ree, you're killing us!!  We sit and eat the whole pan in one night!  They're delicious!  We even tried using grape jelly once, but take my word for it, strawberry is still the best.

Strawberry Oatmeal Bars

by Simple and Sweet Creations
Ingredients
  • 1 3/4 sticks butter
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 10-12 ounces strawberry preserves (or other flavor)
Instructions
In a standing mixer, mix together flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
Cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Sprinkle half the mixture in a greased 9x13 pan and lightly pack.
Spread preserves evenly over the surface.
Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture and lightly pat down.
Bake at 350º F for 30 to 40 minutes or until light golden brown.

Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment