Pages

November 18, 2014

Potato Soup



Every year, usually sometime in October, my great (literally great) grandma comes up for a visit.  It works out perfectly as my mom could use an extra hand peeling and canning potatoes.  We always seem to plant way too many!  A couple years ago we had over 500 pounds!!  Yes, 500 pounds of potatoes for four people!  Of course we shared with family, friends, and neighbors.

But seriously, what do you do with that many potatoes?  No matter what you do -mashed, boiled, baked, fried- they become old after a while.  My mom tried canning them.  Everyone else loved them, but they weren't my favorite.  They were a little soft for my liking.  She also froze several batches of potato soup.  Let me tell you, nothing is better than going in the freezer on a cold day and pulling out a container of potato soup.  Just heat it up and lunch/dinner is served. My kind of cooking!

Since we had so many potatoes my mom offered to send home soup with my grandma.  Of course she accepted!  Who would turn down potato soup!?  My grandma has a one-of-a-kind sense of humor. One morning, my mom went out to feed the horses and left her in the kitchen peeling potatoes.  When she came back in, my grandma was holding a sign that read "Will Work For Food."  

To this day we still laugh and tell her she'll have to help if she wants her share of the garden.  Every year she keeps coming back, so the labor must be worth the reward!



Potato Soup

:Ingredients:
6 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
5 cups chicken broth
2 cups onions, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
12 ounces evaporated milk

:Directions:
Combine first seven ingredients in a large pot.  Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring often.  
Reduce heat to a simmer and add evaporated milk.  
Cover and cook 30 minutes, stirring frequently, not allowing the soup to boil.
Allow to cool slightly before pureeing in a food processor or blender. 

Copyright © 2014, Grace George. Simple and Sweet Creations. All Rights Reserved.


Click for printable recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment